Practice Greenhealth awards 29 Providence hospitals
[4 MIN READ]
In this article:
Providence St. Patrick Hospital a Top 25 Environmental Excellence Awardee.
Seven hospitals in Environmental Excellence Circles, with Providence Portland Medical Center earning the Greening the OR Leadership Award.
Nine hospitals earn Greenhealth Emerald Award.
Read our 2021 Environmental Stewardship report.
For the second year in a row, Providence has been honored with the Practice Greenhealth's System for Change Award. This is recognition of the work we are doing toward our pledge to be carbon negative by 2030.
Practice Greenhealth is the nation's leader in helping health care systems decrease their impact on the environment. In all, the nonprofit environmental leader has recognized 29 Providence and affiliated ministries for their environmental stewardship.
Top honor awards
Individual top honors went to:
- Providence St. Patrick Hospital in Missoula, Mont., named to the Top 25 Environmental Excellence Award list.
Practice Greenhealth's highest honor for hospitals, the Top 25 Environmental Excellence Award recognizes health care facilities that continuously improve and expand upon programs to eliminate mercury, reduce and recycle waste, source products sustainability and more. Winning facilities must demonstrate that they are working toward energy efficiency, waste reduction, elimination of mercury and other chemicals of concern, sustainable food programs and that they have robust programs in many areas.
- Providence Portland Medical Center, the single hospital in the nation selected to receive the Greening the OR Leadership Award.
This award recognizes the organization demonstrating the most success and leading innovation in reducing the environmental impact of its surgical suites. Operating rooms are large contributors to a health care facility's environmental footprint, creating opportunity for significant cost savings and sustainability improvements.
Other awards are given for sustainability programs, as well as substantial progress toward commitment to environmental improvements.
In all, Providence received 48 awards this year — up from 24 total in 2021. These awards showcase the system's continued efforts towards its pledge to be carbon negative by 2030. Progress toward that plan can be found in Environmental Stewardship Report, released in April.
- Providence Alaska Medical Center
- Providence Kodiak Island
- Providence Holy Cross Medical Center, Mission Hills
- Providence Little Company of Mary, Torrance
- Providence St. Patrick Hospital, Missoula
- Providence St. Joseph Medical Center, Polson
- Providence Hood River Memorial Hospital
- Providence Medford Medical Center
- Providence Milwaukie Hospital
- Providence Newberg Medical Center
- Providence Portland Medical Center
- Providence St. Vincent Medical Center, Portland
- Providence Seaside Hospital
- Providence Willamette Falls Medical Center, Oregon City
- Covenant Medical Center, Lubbock
- Covenant Children's Hospital, Lubbock
- Kadlec Regional Medical Center, Richland
- Providence Centralia Hospital
- Providence Holy Family Hospital, Spokane
- Providence Mount Carmel Hospital, Colville
- Providence Regional Medical Center, Everett
- Providence St. Mary Medical Center, Walla Walla
- Providence St. Peter Hospital, Olympia
- Providence Sacred Heart Medical Center, Spokane
- Swedish Issaquah
- Swedish Ballard
- Swedish Cherry Hill
- Swedish Edmonds
- Swedish First Hill